Sunday, November 30, 2008

Not helpful

This is not the first time I saw a crash in front of me. The motorist fell off the bike. It is obvious that the NS boy is rushing to camp and had slip while making a dangerous turn. The first thought that comes to my mind is "What is the rush? It is not worth it after all.". Then comes the crucial part. What can I do to help? I have no first aid knowledge and did not carry my handphone out with me. I am a silly passerby who stood there blankly, not knowing what to do next. Two men stopped their car at the side of the road. One of them started to dial the emergency number. Another man came over and a few people just turn their heads but continue to walk ahead.

While the two car owner ran back to their vehicle to pick up something. I rush across the road to look at the injured motorist, telling him not to move. He is a bit stubborn. I had to coax him/ almost going to shout panicky, as it is really dangerous to even try moving himself up.

At the same time, I had to look at the traffic, to prevent any cars from coming close. The only thing that I can do is to assure him that help is coming and to hold him in place. I can see thick blood coming out from his eyes, nose and face but I do not know where is the bleeding spot. I am telling the other guys not to let him move. When he stopped trying, he lose his conscious.
Before that, he did open his eyes once and so happen that I am right in front of him then. I got a little jump myself.


I looked at the others as we saw his lips move a bit when being asked where it hurts. The paramedic came and told us that he has lost his conscious. They needs to lift him into the ambulance.

I should have learn the basic first aid skills to make myself useful in such situation. The motorist on the street shouldn't rush as it is not worth getting hurt over a few minutes delay. The medical bills is high and he has lost his motobike, as it has been crashed into bits and pieces. As this is not my first encounter, I am thinking that maybe I have a duty to help.

No comments: