While waiting for my turn to come, I was asked to change my clothes and sit on the bed. It was so boring, if I could have known earlier, I would purposely come in at later. I would think a lot if I have nothing to do.
We are surprised to find a little doll on the equipment tray. This doll has also been dressed as a patient (maybe to coax us into wearing the same).
The presentation of the food items has definitely cheered me up. It looks more like I am coming for a picnic rather than getting treatment. I can sit there enjoying my food while looking outside the windows watching the little squirrels jumping around the trees.




Soon after the meal, I have been asked by the staff nurse to proceed to the operation theatre. I have been repeated asked by several medical staff to verify my particulars and bio-data. There is an OTO big foot massager for me to use while waiting. I played with it for 10 minutes, then moved around to help an old lady to do the massage. The medical staffs are keeping me from moving too much, but I thought it may be a good way to distract myself.
My turn has come and I take the chance to ask the doctor to verify if it is necessary to do the surgical excision as the lump has already got smaller. The doctor asks me to sit down, so that he can examine my head, as there is only a bed, I squatted down to lower my head (while the medical staff is trying to stop me from doing so). The doctor studied the previous medical records and said that since the lump has been there for so long and it seems like the antibiotics are not working, we should proceed with the surgery. I look disappointed and have no choice but to climb onto the bed as instructed.
As I have already been told that some hair shaving is required, I could not care about the appearance as I need to make sure that the doctor can do his job in the best possible manner. The medical staff are especially nice to me (I thought maybe they see me as an young adult) and are helping me to cope with the procedures.
The medical team (of about 10 people) are having difficulties gelling up my hair. In the end that tie it up and uses tape to stick the sides. I could feel that there are quite some shaving and also cutting of hairs. I wonder how noticeable it could be, as the cyst itself is already 2x2cm (luckily I have thick hairs; hopefully it can still cover up a bit). The doctor thought that I have done some shaving beforehand, which I did not as the hairs on the affected area has dropped off on its own (yet they still have so much to cut away).
The doctor has given me local anaesthesia to numb the area, while I was wide awake through the whole process. There is so much blood stains when I opened my eyes to peep (quickly close back my eyes), while they have changed the pillow sheet 3 times. The blood smell is strong. It does stresses me whenever I hear the doctor asking for the type of knifes, the stitches and the additional hair removal.
Throughout the operation, they keep asking if I feels okay, other than ‘yes’, I don’t really think there is anything much I could say. My only assurance comes from the warmth feeling (I could feel the comfort from the surgeon's tummy pressing against my hand, which is rested at the side of the bed). Also, my courage comes from thinking of what my grandmother has gone through.
But, when the anaesthesia effect is almost over, I can sense some pain in the process. In addition, the duration is so long and my neck is aching so much that at one point, I wanted to runaway from half-way. I almost thought of opening my mouth to ask if we could stop for today and continue on another day.
Fortunately, I have managed to hang on till the whole excision process is over. I have been push to a corner to rest. I have been lying face down with my head turn right for such a long time (came out at 5 plus). My neck is extremely stiff and tired that I could not hold any longer. I struggled to sit up. The nurses are shocked at what I am trying to do. I explained and requested to sit up. They scroll up the bed and my tears starts rolling (not because of the head, but my neck pain is more unbearable). I kept apologies and says that it is embarrassing – my neck is too tired to hold on to that position anymore.
All the nurses are nice people, they keep showing their care for me. They have favoured me with the smiles, giving me the warm air and ensuring that my blanket are well-covered. They keep asking if I feels pain/ giddy, and have helped me during the transfer from one bed to another with minimial movement. Time passes slowly but finally I can be pushed back to my ward.
I have never expect the bandage to look this obvious (means I cannot go out to the street, if not will scare people) and that I have to return to the clinic on next monday to change the dressing. My mother says I look as if I am going for some sports/ protest. I thought that my last time tying my hair on both sides was in 20 years ago. I look weird and has been attracting many unwanted attention.
Another shock is that I have given 10 days MC till 12 Oct. I thought of selecting on a friday would means only a day away from the office and that I will just need to rest over the weekend. There are many things in the office that requires my attention.


4 comments:
hi ru,wish u speed recovery and try not to think abt work during these 10 days of mc so u can recover faster!let ur brain rest!=) take care - weini
Ger, the bandage don't look that bad. Rest more at home k. Nini is right. Don't think about work while you are resting at home. You need a good break from work anyway. Take carz...
thanks for your concern. yes, I will listen to your advise and try not to stress myself over work related issues. =)
though i've got many mc days, i would prefer to have a break without pain and having comfortable sleep. (dream a little dream of me...)
Cancan.. you will recover soon de! Jia you!!! i am waiting to meet you up soon!
Post a Comment