Thursday, January 21, 2010

Discover Hong Kong



I have managed to purchase tickets to Hong Kong at a bargain. The airfare is so much cheaper last year, as the economy is picking up, I could hardly get good prices for the next trip.



The reason we choose Hong Kong Is because this place is under Vic’s wish list, and it has given me more motivation. My mother next dream nation is to Taiwan, and I have to keep my eyes open for a good opportunity to bring her there. I’m truly cut-out to become a secretary, as I take pleasure in fulfilling other people’s goals.



What do I expect in Hong Kong
I hope to be able to move around in cool weather, as there is a common complain that Hong Kong is too hot. However, choosing to go during mid-winter and on the coldest year ever recorded in the history has prepared us to get ready for unexpected weather. The forecast keeps saying that there is rain on the next day; still, we are lucky to have spent the 5 days without the falling droplets.

In my mind, Hong Kong should be somewhat similar to Singapore. I have heard of the easy-to-read MTR train lines and I am expecting a cosmopolitan lifestyle. I know there are many crowded streets, and have heard of the famous Cantonese speaking Disneyland, Ocean Peak, Big Buddha and the Peak. My worries has been on the communication, as I do not have a fair command of Cantonese.

Matching with the actual Hong Kong in reality, there are a lot more mountains and sea views unlike what it was said as being a compact and crowded city. As the Island is big, there have been actually quite a number of mountains and seaside hangout venues as compared to Singapore. The misty and coldness reminds me of being in Japan. There has been a lot of Chinese tourists which has a fairly huge impact on the business in Hong Kong. Many shop assistants are capable of speaking fluent mandarin and conversational English, and it is very surprisingly hear some basic Japanese sentences.


The hospital and the home for the aged can both be found along the town street and among the shophouses. Within a short walk from our hotel to Lan Kwai Fong, we see one police station, two homes for the elderly, one hospital, one school, two hotels, all which located in-between the rows and rows of shophouses that look just like our Singapore Chinatown. The feeling is like being in a 15 deg Chinatown and we are going to stay for 5 days. I quite enjoyed a cooler Chinatown walk.







This place is considerable clean, very big and there is a great difference in the dressing of people and the outlook of building at the different part of Hong Kong. Shopping experience is very similar to Singapore as a lot of brands have gone international. The pricing for the transport and living expenses is not far from Singapore.



Disneyland is an amazing place to go. The birds are flying in a flock and circling the chairs and lamp post just like the way it was shown on the fairy tales movie. Maybe it is due to the surrounding, peaceful and quite will many mountains from far, or probably Disneyland team has specially imported the rare breeds from wonderland, with stringent control and only qualified birds can enter. >.<

Unlike in the previous visit, this time, I have all the opportunity and the options to choose which item I want to play. It is quieter on a weekday afternoon, which is more suitable for people like me who hates to queue.







Overall, this daytime visit has introduced me to the living legends of Disneyland. Still, it ended with the most hate disgusting automated bear show like the last time. When can my Disneyland trip stop giving me the produce of bear-and-robot?



Argyle Centre is like the Singapore version of Far East Square. There are many teens fashion clothing and accessories that all the shops are flooded with trendy crowds. I am extremely thrilled to find my adorable toys in one of the nearby figurines shop, a building somewhat looks like the Sunshine Plaza in Singapore.



After a whole afternoon of staring at all the Hong Kong favorite movie stars and celebritities wax made-up.



During evening time we are going to witness the starlight and awesome view of Hong Kong, which is the Symphony of lights. Investors has thrown in 4.4 millions for this built-up but it is a pity that the there are smoke/ dust that makes the views a little cloudy. It would have been perfect if the air is clear, so that we can truly enjoy watching the lights dancing.



No comments: