Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bright and Breezy


Our first holiday destination is a short trip to Batam. We have been planning to go for a short tour together for quite some time and we had finally taken the first step. As there is a promotion going on, we hastily made the reservation online without any prior research. Kaixuan's second sis and her husband is coming too.

Our superior room turns out to be an Attap hut, and both our huts are connected like a semi-detach apartment with two staircases leading to our individual doors. I have been wanting to stay somewhere near the coast, and this is like a childhood play scenarios coming up for real. But as I grow up, more things like the cleanliness and comfort are beginning to become part of my concern, as I have become slightly detached from my dreams and become more accustomed to the city life. Good grief that the rooms turns out find, they are clean, spacious and comfortable, it has contained all the modern amenities and a double queen size bed which exceeded our expectation.

The resort rooms are designed in Balinese-style with traditional teak and a thatched-roof. When I was young, I have always hoped setup a net surrounding my bed, which makes is princess-like and cozy, but of course, this is before I started watching dramas.
Both our queen size beds are covered with the anti-mosquitoes net. The room size 42sqm and was well installed with a TV set, a radio, a mini bar and a room safe, and e. there are many drawers and cupboards. The room has both fan and air-con to maintain a cooling temperature. All windows are shielded with an anti-mosquitoes net which has also prevent any insects from creeping in. Also, there is a pesticide in the room which I have sprayed profusely before leaving the room for outdoor activities to pre-empt the possiblilty of any surviving creepy crawy bugs.

There is a relatively large balcony at the back of the room with a round table and two seats, offering a nice ambience for a relaxing afternoon tea or some quiet readings. However, the moment I look up and saw a bat at the ceiling, all I wanted is to leave-out this area and keep the balcony door closed at all times. Although I know bats are good mammals but I am still afraid of the m. I wouldn't want to be in contact with the cold creatures. If there is one bat, the other bats might come too. I would rather give up the stay than to sleep in a room with bats, keeping the doors close is the safest.

I am surprised that Singapore Dollars is widely use here, there seems to be many sets of SGD price list available at all locations, the reservation counter, the grocery store, all restaurants, shops and booths. We can also choose to put all the charges to our room number.

Most of the staff here speaks fluent English, and the level of service is higher than expected. This place is stylish and well maintained, nicely furbished and spacious. We feels like we are in a tranquil place of our own, as we have the previledge to enjoy all the facilities of this resort without having to queue to share with others. The landscape of this island looks really impressive, the overall experience makes us feels like we are in a luxury resort.

We have stolen an hour (time difference), our morning seems long. We arrived at the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to board the Golden Raider (a “lao pok” bumpy ferry) at 11.00am. After a journey of 35 mins ride plus some waiting time, we arrive at Nongsapura Ferry Terminal nearly 11.00am as well.

Transfer to the resort has pre-arranged and a 7 seater car came to pick us up from the Ferry Terminal. We have been granted an early check-in to one of the two rooms reserved.

After we settling down our baggages, we got changed into our beach wear and ready for our first activity – Canoeing.


Our coordinator Erni has arranged a double seater and two single seat canoes. I shared with Peisi and the guys took the single canoes. As I an inexperienced in arranging watersports activities, our activities are carried out during the low-tides mid afternoon. The most embaressing moment is at a point where the base of our canoe touches a huge rock beneath the sea and we got struck for a couple of mintues.
Kaixuan canoe has capsized in the middle of sea and we wanted row closer to help him up, but when we reached him and stay still, he seems to be moving further and further away from us. We asked him not to go near the deep sea as it is dangerous, without realsing that it is the waves that has drifted us towards the shore and away from him. His canoe has been loaded with so much water that the instructor has to send him a new canoe.

We are glad to have a fine weather with a bright sky and cool clouds that give us the shades and breeze. This beautiful coast coupled with the most desirable weather conditions is excellent for watersports activities.
The effort to plan our activities in advance has paid off, we have been given a 10% discounts for advance booking.
Lunch - We had the located food, a Dessert w/ Fruits and Vailla Ice-cream, Gado-Gado, Sambal Fish, Fried Chicken, Fried Chili Long Beans and Fried Rice/ Steam Rice


The next adventure is to go for snorkeling at the no man's island. It is exciting to take a journey on a speed boat that discover the hidden views of this island. I have never regret that we chose to go for snorkeling at the sea instead of staying somewhere near the island. The experiences on a thrilling ride that sped across the beautiful coast is awesome and unforgettable..



Even though I do not know how to swim, snorkeling isn't difficult as we are equipped with the floating and breathing gear. Initially, I have difficulties using the breathing gears, because as the water stills gets into me no matter how, I would rather remained using the tradition breathing method and hold onto my breath while enjoying the coral views, regularly lifting my head up to change breaths. Soon, I realised that I can also use my hands to keep the gear close to my face so that the water does not seep in. Occasionally, there are currents of cold water nearing. I saw are many small fishes, corals, and sea cucumber look alike. Also, I saw a fascinating black sea urchin. I took a real close look to confirm that it was an urchin; it is black and round in shape and has black thin spike surrounding it. The eyes are yellow and tiny, similar to the bats that I saw earlier on. Other than from television, I have never seen any urchin before, and my first encounter with the urchin is at ‘his residency’. As a safety precautionary measures, I quickly swim away.


Back to the room, we bath and changed before entering the Yacht Club for some cocktail drinks and Billiard game.

This place is away and quiet, except that the whole of SMOE group somewhere around in the nearby restaurant. There are so few customers that we almost had the resort, ie the swimming pools, the restaurants and the lounge all to ourselves. Even though so, all the staffs are warm,welcoming and always ready .

We had teppanyaki grill for dinner at the Cinta Manis Restaurant. The waitress helps us to place a little yellow apron while the senior chef performs and cook the dishes right before us. He has nicely diced the food and combines our order to divides into equal portions for us.

Day one ended perfectly with a cool slim bottle of ice wine. However, I didn’t sleep well as I have heard strange stories one day before departure, even though is in another resort. In addition, there are mosquitoes bites and two bats at the balcony which i fear. All I want is to wait for the sunrise and the light to come.

I waited till it is almost 5.00am before I stepped out alone to the seaside. I did not want to wake any of them up as I am not sure if they needed more sleep, while I am already prepared to go out alone. I met a photographer and ask for his permission to follow him to take the snapshot of the sunrise. I told him that my partner is sleeping and I would prefer to have people around. We walked to a few spots to capture the different view of the rising sun, the color coulds, the shore and the rays of lights. Just as the sky emrerges a mesmerizing shades of light orange, yellow and crimson, I heard someone calling my name. Kaixuan’s sister and her hubby has come to watch the sunrise too. I am more than happy to have familar faces around.



Breakfast is complimentary by the resort (from 8am – 10am) and we have buffet at the Taming Sari Restaurant. I have my usual egg-filled meal, while Kaixuan and his sister have decorated their plates making it look as delicious as a Swensens breakfast.


The check-out time is at 12noon and we brought our baggage to the concierge and leave them at the counter before going to the cabana by the pool side for some refreshments and drinks while waiting for the transfer to pick us up at 1.30pm.

Straightaway as we arrived at the Nongsapura Ferry Terminal, we checked in and got seated in the Sea Radier Ferry to wait for the return. The back home journey is smooth sailing and the Ferry seats and facilities are much better than the departure ride. We are back to Singapore at 4.00pm to make up for the time difference

No comments: