Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tokyo Spring Day 2 (Asakusa + Ueno + Yokohama for sightseeing)


Our first destination of the day is to the Buddhist Temple called Asakusa Kannon Temple.
I am too engrossed with my new purchases from uniquo and nike that I have forgotten to wear the winter coat and jacket out with me! It would be too time consuming to return to the hotel to pick up the extra clothing (1hr for the next hotel transfer). I thought of either managing the cold or buy another few more clothes during our exploration.

Entering through the Kaminarimon (Thunder Gate) is a stretch of shopping street.
Over here, we brought a lot of yummy Ningyoyaki (red bean paste filling cake recommended by my brother).
I


It is exciting to buy the local delicacies from the street stall and share among ourselves. We tasted the okonomiyaki (more delicious this time), the tako-yaki and the red bean with green tea sticky rice ball.

W
hile waiting for my mother return from the temple, I stand outside watching people drawing lots and I put in 100 yen to participate. I have picked the first number and it signifies very good luck. Jialing has a good lot too.

We a
lmost thought that we would need to tie all the readings on the board until my brother came and explain to us that it is for those who wanted a change of luck, otherwise we should keep our readings.

Hanami ("Cherry Blossom Viewing") in Ueno Park, one of the most famous cherry blossom spot. There are more than 1,000 trees and even more people in this park, trying to catch of glimpse of the budding flowers. The blooming period starts from 21 March this year.

We proceed to Ueon to view the cherry blossom. I am still amazed at my tolerance for coldness, as I am in a place where even the locals are wearing thick clothing.


Japanese are more polite and considerate by nature. They have maintained a high level of hygiene, and would be sure to clear away the plates after use. They are extremely conscious about the society and would observed the escalator and priority seats rules. We see couples only take pictures for one another. I am won over by the warm and friendly people. Even though we have a language barrier, getting around this area isn't as difficult as it seems.

The glorious view of a carpet of cheery flowers lining your path.

We took picture of ourselves using this big refective ball outside the Art Museum.

A short train ride brings us to the Palette Town where there is a huge rainbow Ferris Wheel, one of the world largest wheel, which is much bigger than in Singapore. Beside us is the Mega Web Toyota Showroom with many cars stored on a vertical conveyor belt, where the selected models can be loaded to the group for testing. Next to it was a shopping complex where you find shops like Burberry and Pinky Girls.

Our journey continues to the Decks, where we are spolit for choices in the food theme park - Daiba Little Hong Kong. In the end, we selected Maisen, a restaurant famous for its tonkatsu (deep fried pork cutlets) for our dinner.
We leisurely walk to the back of the building where we can see the status of liberty and the rainbow bridge.
By the time we return to the train station, we are surprised to find that the last train back to the Narita Airport (9.30pm) has left. The next nearest station to the hotel is the Narita station, but we are not sure if we can get a taxi there as it is a farm area and quite a distance away from the hotel (around 3-4 farm area). As our residency area is near the sea, which would be extremely cold at night. If there is no taxi available at late night (not to mention that the transport fees may exceed $160),we would need to find an alternative accomodation for the night. But what if there is no hotel in the farm area? We would have to wait and stay on the streets till the next morning.

All because we have asked for our mother's opinion and she is quick to make decision saying that returning to the hotel would be more convenient. Our return trip via train would cost $16 each, which she says we might as well take taxi back. This is not possible as the taxi fare would have been relatively much higher, something which is difficult to explain within a short time frame. Also, even if we are willing to fork out the hundreds, we wonder if there is any driver who is willing to take us that far.

Unlike in Singapore, by the time we reach the Narita terminal most places would be closed as it will be later than 11.30pm. Just what if there is no taxi or hotel, I may not be able to withstand the dropping temperature at night and the strong wind blowing from the seas.

Thinking of these,
my brother and I could not rest well on the train. Our hearts is frustered with all the "what-if" thoughts, who would have been able to stay calm and risking of spenting a night in a cold and empty street with no heater, no taxi and no hotel countryside.

I asked my brother why he did not insist on bringing us to his dorm, he says that my mother has said that she would prefer to return to the hotel. I am already so cold without a proper coat/ wind breaker and I asked my mother again if she really want to take this risk. She seems not able to make a good decision and I stood up to signal that we should all head back.

My brother spoke to the station teller in Japanese and we got some refund for our new destination. The error in decision has wasted one hour of our time, luckily the streets in the centre Tokyo are more awake at night.


As I have once sent a mail to this dorm, I find the street names oddly familiar. We took a taxi to the dormitory and had to wait outside and endure the cold for a while, to wait for my brother to report to the office for the lost of keys. He told that guard that his key is left in a friend’s bag which he will only be able to meet him up tomorrow to collect it back. The room is small but compact. There is a heater, cooker and it can accommodates 3 mattresses, the toilet is brilliantly designed that with a mobile basin that can tranform a toilet to a bath room. The compact concept has enable the most efficient use of space.

No comments: